If youre looking to go on an awesome raodtrip and meet new and likeminded people into travel, this is the company to hit up! The places you visit are amazing, the tour guides are really friendly and the friendships you make along this trip is just priceless! One of the best NZ roadtrips i have ever done!
4 Day Abel Tasman Road Trip
Solo Travellers, Couples, & Friends
Experience it all with our 4 day Abel Tasman Getaway tour
Completely immerse yourself in the natural wonders of the Abel Tasman National Park. Everyone from solo travellers to couples and small groups of friends are welcome, so join your new group of mates and enjoy sharing the outdoors kayaking, sailing, swimming, and more together. Spots sell out quickly, so book now to avoid disappointment!
You can secure your spot with a 20% deposit and pay the rest later! Check our Terms & Conditions for more details.
On day 1, you’ll meet us at 9 am in Nelson at Paradiso Backpackers
- 6th January
- 20th January
- 3rd February
- 17th February
- 3rd March
- 17th March
- 31st March
- 14th April
- 28th April
On the road
4 days, 3 nights
Small groups of up to 12 people
You must be 18+ years old to book
- All accommodation
- All transport
- All activities (outlined on itinerary)
- All breakfasts
- Three dinners
- Two lunches
Flights to and from Nelson
What to bring
- We recommend a medium-sized bag for most of your stuff (this will be locked away in the trailer) and a small day bag to keep with you in the van where you can keep water, snacks, a camera, and an extra layer handy.
- Dry bags for clothes in kayak. The hatches are waterproof, but just in case.
- Sun smart things (hat, glasses, sunscreen) because it is ‘Sunny Nelson’ after all.
- New Zealand weather can be unpredictable, so make sure you bring swimwear and a towel, as well as warm clothes and a rain jacket
You will have 2 tour guides with you during your road trip with us. They will be your drivers, hosts, cooks, and new best mates!
Things to Look Forward to
Kayak around crystal clear bays
Walk the Abel Tasman Coast Track
Stay overnight beach front at Golden Bay
Hop on board a private sailing trip around the bays
Visit the iconic Split Apple Rock
Opportunity to paddle with seals
Relax on numerous beaches
Leave your comfort zone and go canyoning (optional add on)
Explore lagoons, islands and Maori Pa (village) sites to learn about local history.
Abel Tasman Itinerary 4 Days
New Zealand’s smallest but most popular national park, the Abel Tasman is a truly remarkable place to tick off the bucket list. We will be launching this summer and below is an example itinerary. Keep your eye out for updates as this tour will sell out quickly!
Start in Nelson, Check out Riuwaka Resurgence then lunch at Kaiteriteri beach. Enjoy an afternoon sailing on a private chartered yacht trip. Finish the day with a BBQ dinner with your new crew!
Half day Kayaking trip into the national park, unguided walk the coastal track and stay another night in Marahau
Leave Marahau and make our way to Wharariki beach for the day. After we have had enough sun and swimming we will spend the last night together at our beach front cabins in Golden Bay.
Leave Golden Bay and visit Te Waikoropupu Springs. After we will check out Mapua town for lunch and finish our tour in Nelson at 3pm for people to catch their flights back home.
Some Important Details
- Flights to Nelson are not included
- COVID restrictions/changes or cancellations to your booking
- All cancellations of bookings by you must be made in writing. We will not regard a booking as cancelled unless an email written notice has been received by us from you.
- Cancellation can only be made up to 7 days before the departure of your tour. Once the cancellation is accepted a refund of 80% of the total ticket price (less the 20% deposit) will be paid to you. The refundable portion does not include the non-refundable 20% deposit.
- No refunds will be available for cancellations within 7 days of the departure date.
- We recognise that our current tours may require flexibility around cancellations during this evolving global situation. As such, if your travel arrangement to the meetup zone has been affected due to COVID Alert level restrictions your tour purchase will be 100% refundable (excl. any credit card, booking fee).
Yes, bring insect repellent or eat marmite 2 weeks prior.
Yes there is potential of getting slightly wet, and completely submerging in water.
Unfortunately not on this tour. We will be staying at an epic hostel and a beach front holiday park.
Yes, bring along a rain jacket and an extra warm (wool/fleece) layer of clothing. Marine life is more active on rainy days.
We aim to spend 2-3 hours kayaking on day 2.
You can easily fit the equivalent of approximately two large packs full of equipment in the dry storage areas of a double sea kayak (at least 225L). This needs to be put inside large plastic bags to fit into the hatches.
A minimal level of fitness is required for our tours and sea kayaking trips. The pace is always adjusted to suit the group and we have frequent comfort stops. Guides instruct clients on easy ways to paddle and you will rapidly develop your skills. Enthusiasm is more important than fitness.
For walking the track, firm footwear is required, but boots are not essential, walking sandals or sports shoes are fine.
Some Lovely Words From Past Roadies
Isaac and Jason really were able to capture the essence and beauty of the land, keeping it wholesome, epically fun and adventurous! Definitely recommend Backyard Roadies!
Fantastic experience and worth every cent. Jason has very in depth knowledge on all the spots and will take you to a number of different locations you probably wouldn’t normally go to. Thoroughly recommend it for anyone considering it!
I can’t recommend this trip enough! I was a little nervous to go on my own but the guide Jason made it so welcoming and fun! Meeting new people and ending the tour as friends was such a highlight!